Services Covered Under Affordable Health Care Act (ACA) Health Care Plans
Essential Benefits Included in the Affordable Health Care Act
The Affordable Health Care Act ensures that health insurance plans include essential benefits. Health insurance under the ACA must include the following benefits and these benefits cannot be denied if an individual has pre-existing health conditions. These essential benefits include:
- Ambulatory patient services or outpatient services you receive without being admitted to the hospital
- Emergency services
- Hospital stays including surgeries
- Maternity and newborn care
- Mental health care including substance abuse services such as psychotherapy and counseling
- Prescription drugs
- Doctor visits
- Rehabilitation and therapy for individuals with injuries and chronic conditions to strengthen their mental and physical abilities
- Lab services
- Pediatric care including vision and dental care
Participating health insurance companies will compete on a state exchange and will vary in quality and price of health insurance offered. Because there are so many health insurance plans that are offered, it is a good idea to speak with a licensed health insurance agent.
Preventive Services Covered
Preventive services are covered under the Affordable Care Act at no cost to the insured. This means there is no co-payment or deductible. There are specific services provided for all adults and specific benefits provided to women and children.
All adults can receive screening for certain cancers or diseases such as Hepatitis B & C and HIV. Diabetes screening is also offered. Adults that are at a high risk for chronic disease can also receive diet counseling. Screening for depression is also offered. Those who are at risk for high cholesterol and blood pressure can also be screened for such. Vaccinations are also offered at no cost to all adults.
Because women’s health care needs are unique, some of the most common preventive services that are offered to women include:
- Anemia screening
- Folic acid supplements for pregnant women
- Breastfeeding counseling and support
- Screening for gestational diabetes
- Prevention and screening for pre-eclampsia for women who are pregnant and have high blood pressure
- Rh incompatibility screening for pregnant women and follow-up screening for those who are at high risk
- Tobacco use intervention and counseling for pregnant women who use tobacco
- Screening for syphilis
- Urinary tract infection screening and screening for other infections
The Affordable Care Act also covers other specific preventive services for women who are at a higher risk for certain conditions, such as breast cancer.
A variety of preventive services are available for children. Some of these include:
- Autism screening
- Newborn blood screening
- Depression screening
- Development screening for children younger than three years old
- Behavioral assessments
- Screening for a variety of diseases including HIV and Hepatitis B
- Hearing and vision screening
- Oral health risk assessment
Help From Nevada Insurance Enrollment
When choosing a health insurance plan, make sure to speak with a local Las Vegas, Nevada health insurance agent. This will ensure you choose a health insurance plan that best fits your needs.